|11/2/2017 9:00:00 AM|
CORNERSTONE OF FAITH
ON OCT. 28, 1917, the cornerstone for St. Patrick's Church in Ravena was dedicated before a crowd of 2,000, with a marching band and grandstand to overlook the ceremony. On Oct. 28, 2017, Bishop Emeritus Howard J. Hubbard was on hand to celebrate the centennial of that event.
At right, the Bishop Emeritus accepts the offertory gifts from 100-year-old Mary Carnibucci, whose baptism in 1917 was one of the first at St Patrick's.
"The 100th anniversary of St. Patrick's Church is a cause of great joy for both of our parishes, not only because sharing milestones and accomplishments lifts everyone up, but because it highlights the history we share as Catholics in Ravena and Coxsackie," wrote Rev. Scott VanDerveer, pastor, in the parish bulletin.
Bottom right, celebrating the Liturgy of the Eucharist are Deacon Steven Young, Rev. James O'Neill, the Bishop Emeritus, Rev. William Pape and Father VanDerveer.
"In 1854, Bishop (later Cardinal) John McCloskey formed St. Mary's parish in Coxsackie and staked out Coeymans as 'mission territory,'" wrote Father VanDerveer. "The first church in Coeymans was built in on a rocky ledge near where St. Patrick's cemetery now lies. In 1890, after almost 40 years as a mission church, St. Patrick's was established as an independent parish. Now, 100 years later, St. Patrick's and St. Mary's again have a deep sense of kinship through the sharing of one pastor and our deep commitment to each other's growth into the future."
See more photos in The Evangelist's print edition. To subscribe, contact 518-453-6688 or email@example.com. (Nate Whitchurch photos)
Article Comment Submission Form