<
1
2
>
ST. CLEMENT'S PARISH in Saratoga Springs just marked its centennial with a Mass and reception. In 1886, the St. Clement's Church community gathered in what was then the Glen Mitchell house on North Broadway in Saratoga Springs. The building served as a college for the training of young Redemptorists -- the religious community that still leads the parish -- and was not officially formed as a parish until 31 years later.

The Redemptorists invited the School Sisters of Notre Dame to staff a parish school. In 1918, St. Clement's School opened on the second floor of the church building, with 71 students. In 1987, the grade schools of St. Clement's and St. Peter's in Saratoga merged, with grades seven and eight moving to the Saratoga Central Catholic High School campus. A state-of-the-art STEM lab was dedicated at St. Clement's School in 2015. The school also offers pre-kindergarten classes.

St. John Neumann Residence for retired and ailing Redemptorists existed from 1916-2009. St. Clement's mission chapel, St. Theresa's in Gansevoort, was built by and for parishioners living in rural areas of the county and dedicated in 1966.

Top, Rev. Paul Borowski, CSsR, former pastor, and Deacon Lawrence Willette are joined by Revs. Robert Harrison and Arthur Tuttle, CSsR, parochical vicars; and Revs. Francis Sullivan, Joseph Tizio and current pastor George Blasick, CSsR, during the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

Bottom, Marg Miller joins her aunt, Rose Lee, a parishioner for more than 60 years, in the Lord's Prayer and Rev. Joseph Tizio, CSsR, delivers the homily at the Mass. See more photos in The Evangelist's print edition. To subscribe, call 518-453-6688 or email ann.egan@rcda.org. (Nate Whitchurch photos)